Ladies put your hands in the air! There is a new favourite cult holiday in town! Today, February the 13th is officially “Galentines Day.” Galentines Day was born from the American Sitcom Parks & Recreation. Leslie (Amy Poehler) invented the day as a way to celebrate her female friendships.
Leslie explains: “Oh, it’s only the best day of the year. Every February 13th my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style. Ladies celebrating ladies. It’s like Lilith Fair, minus the angst. Plus frittatas.”
It’s a new thing and its catching on because what the heck ? Not that we need it but it gives us another excuse to drink Champagne in the middle of the week!
Here is my spotify Love play list
ABOUT MY OUTFIT & HOW TO LAYER
Winter outfits can become somewhat boring, especially in the New Year when you have had enough of the grey skies and black coats. In Europe winter is long so we need to do something to make our outfits a little bit more interesting. There is the magic of layering and layering is like art. You need to get it right otherwise you might end up looking like Lily Tomlin’s character in Grace & Frankie.
The trick to layering is to get the combinations right
1 .Stick to the same colour palette from top to bottom: different shades of the same colour .
2. Break up the look with stripes or tops with prints.
3. Pair baggy items with tighter fitting items so that you don’t look too puffy.
4. Turtlenecks are the perfect layering piece. Get tight fitting turtle necks as this will be the piece you build your layering on.
5. The whole point of layering is to get that effect of showing the different details of the layered pieces. Try a short sleeve top over one of your layered pieces. In this outfit I had my stripey turtle neck from my Capsule Wardrobe under my trendy new red print pullover. The sleeves are the same length so as to show the stripey layering. I turned the red pullover’s sleeves over once.
6. Style with accessories for more interesting detail. I had my watch over the sleeve of the top rather than hide it under. For this outfit I chose a delicate necklace. Sometimes I like to add heavier, chunky accessories to finish the layered look with dramatic details. But because these jeans are already such a statement piece heavier accessories would have taken away from the look rather than add to.
7. Adding a longer faux fur coat in pink or light blue or leopard print faux fur coat would have completed this outfit perfectly.
THE JEANS THAT HAUNTED ME
These Jeans are from Victoria Beckham. I almost lost out on owning these… I saw them last year at a fashion show and was very tempted to buy them but could not justify the price. I then let them go, but I was obsessively thinking of them all summer. They were haunting me! Everywhere I went they were on my mind. In London in July last year I saw a girl wearing them and I was so wishing they were a Top Shop knock-off so that I could own them at a fair price. But no they were those damn special Victoria Beckham’s. I googled them all the time and they were sold out everywhere, even on Farfetched. My friend’s daughter works at one of the very few boutiques that carried these in stock. She phoned me and told me they are on sale and she would keep a pair out for me ! (pays to know the right people!) It took me probably one hour of taking them on and off to decide if I am going to take them. Because even on sale they were still pricey. But deep down inside I knew I couldn’t walk out of the shop without them. We were meant to be together. I do regret taking them at all. I wear them all the time! You know what they say about non buyers remorse… it’s even worse than buyers remorse…”nothing haunts us more than the things we didn’t buy”
Photos by Celine Lütolf
SHOP MY LOOK